Trumpet/Bach TR-200 vs Yamaha YTR-5335GS

Question
My son has been playing the Bach TR-200 the last two years in Jr High School.  As he transitions into High School we must look to get him a new horn as the Bach belongs to the school and he can't take it with him.  We have found a Yamaha YTR-5335GS at the local music store.  The same store can also order the Bach TR-200.  My question is which horn is the better of the two?

Answer
James,

Congrats on the success of your son to help you in making this decision. Sounds like he's doing great.

I've played both and I've always been a "Bach guy" but I've also almost exclusively played the Strad Model 37 pro horn. I have also played some Yamaha pro model horns and I like them.

Between these two, if lean more to the Yamaha as I feel it would be a horn to carry him further in his trumpet career.

However, that said...it's all about how HE sounds on it and feels about it. Finding a way to play them both at the same sitting is the only way to honestly compare them in terms of his feel and connection with the horn as well as for you both to hear his tone and how he sounds on them both. In fact, if you can get a trumpet teacher or band director to go with you to listen, that's your best bet. Be sure the same things are played on both horns and with the same mouthpiece.

Good luck in your hunt and feel free to let me know how it goes.  

Trumpet

Gene Ramsay