Trumpet/Besson

Question
besson
besson  

besson2
besson2  
Here are some pictures of the trumpet I asked you about lase week. I was wrong on where the valve was.

Answer
The rotary valve in your Besson trumpet is for changing the key of the horn to A without having to change the position of the tuning slide. You will also find markings on the valve slides because you must also pull the valve slides out for the entire horn to be in tune playing in A.

At the time your horn was manufactured, there were still some older arrangements that used a trumpet pitched in A, mostly for an easier key signature. Those parts are virtually non-existent today, so there is no more call for horns to be able to easily be pitched in A.

It is usually best to have a repair technician pack that valve with a thick grease so it doesn't leak and doesn't seize.

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger