Trumpet/Changing Valve Oil Brands

Question
I currently have a Bach Strad Model 37 and a brass Bach on Al Cass Valve Oil. However, I've been noticing that Al Cass isn't up to my standards anymore. I would like to switch to UltraPure, but I've been told that switching up valve oils is detrimental to the trumpet and I don't ever want to unintentionally harm my instrument. Is it possible to just give my trumpets a bath and switch valve oils? Do I need to get them dipped in a chemical bath (my last option) or an ultrasonic cleaning to be able to switch?

Answer
Changing to Ultra Pure will not cause you any problems. All any valve oil changes require is a good cleaning of the valve casings and pistons. A bath is never a bad idea, and if you have never had a professional cleaning, that wouldn't hurt either although it is not required.

Ultra Pure is good oil. I use Hetman, personally. Use whatever works best for you.

You'll note that Ultra Pure has two grades, Professional and Light. Start with the Professional, and if the valve action seems slow, you can try the Light.

Many talk about how long their oil lasts. I want to point out that, for maximum valve life, it's a good idea to oil every time you play. Two drops on each piston is sufficient. It's also a good idea to swab out the casings and wipe the pistons about once a week as well.

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger