Trumpet/Conn Trumpet-P37942double tuning slide

Can you ID a trumpet I recently bought?  The mouthpiece says CONN TRUMPET and is an old "cup type. The SN is P37942 and the bell has absolutely no etchings of any kind. The tuning slide is double with two " tromboneing"  sections. There are no finger rings anywhere on the horn. It plays just awful but I haven't washed it yet or oiled the valves. I'm sure it's worth its weight in tarnish. Thanks

Thomas, Does it actually say Conn anywhere on it? If not, it is a stencil from the Pan American division of Conn. That serial dates the horn to 1924 from the Pan Am line. Cleaning may help but doing a "Play condition" restoration will make it play a lot better. It will never be worth a mint, but those horns are mostly old Conn designs that were retired and then used by Pan Am later. Most of them actually play quite well when rebuilt.

Mike Pawul

I am familiar with most trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns. I can answer most questions about playing and musicality. Best of all, if I can't answer it directly I play regularly in several bands and have many "old timers" that are familiar with most things that I am not. I collect, repair, and refinish old and new horns and have sold over 1700 with more than 900 on ebay

I have played since 1965 and studied with many directors and trumpeters. I have been collecting since 2002 and have over 150 horns in my personal collection. I have done repair and refinsh since 2003 and have done work on over 2500 horns.

Kosair Shrine Brass Band and Dance Band, The Notables, The New Tones, Bourbon City Brass Band, River Cities Concert Band, Derby City Brass Band, University of Louisville Community Band, Member of Trumpet Players International Network (TPIN), Bugles Across America (BAA), Member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT)

I played at Brunswick High School. I played through college and have a BS in Business Administration from Trinity College. Of course, I am still learning from all my friends that play and work on trumpets around the world.

Without being vain, numerous awards and have played in several honor bands.