Trumpet/Holton 29 cornet with US on the bell

Holton 29
Holton 29  

holton right side
holton right side  
I just picked up a 1945ish Holton 29 cornet S/N:155011 with US on the bell.  Was this used in the Military, or does the US just meant United States?  Was the third valve ring standard or was it just a music holder?  Somebody used a soket head screw to keep the ring in the holder.  Also can you tell me what the brass piece is on the lead pipe?

US does mean that the instrument was owned by the US Government and probably issued to a service band member. The ring is not standard; I could not see a lyre holder (which is what that fitting is) in the catalog picture, either, so it was likely added as part of the government contract.

The brass piece on the mouthpipe is a patch... there is a crack or hole in the pipe, and that brass piece was soldered on to fix it.

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.