Trumpet/Holton 29 cornet with US on the bell

Question
Holton 29
Holton 29  

holton right side
holton right side  
I just picked up a 1945ish Holton 29 cornet S/N:155011 with US on the bell.  Was this used in the Military, or does the US just meant United States?  Was the third valve ring standard or was it just a music holder?  Somebody used a soket head screw to keep the ring in the holder.  Also can you tell me what the brass piece is on the lead pipe?

Answer
US does mean that the instrument was owned by the US Government and probably issued to a service band member. The ring is not standard; I could not see a lyre holder (which is what that fitting is) in the catalog picture, either, so it was likely added as part of the government contract.

The brass piece on the mouthpipe is a patch... there is a crack or hole in the pipe, and that brass piece was soldered on to fix it.

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger