Trumpet/The Buescher Trumpet

QUESTION: My late husband was given  The Buescher  trumpet by a friend. The serial numbsr is 253641
I am now intending to donate the trumpet to a new project here in the UK whereby unwanted instruments can be given to an organization that will clean and recondition them and make them playable. The instruments will then be dispatched  to primary schools to encourage young pupils to play music.
Before I donate it, I would like to know the approximate year of manufacture and any other info. you can provide. Thanks in advance

ANSWER: That trumpet was made in 1929. I'd need the model number to tell you anything more about it.

But, you can look it up yourself in this 1928 catalog:

It might not be a good choice for this particular donation because Buescher trumpets of this era do not use the standard mouthpiece of today. If it's actually a cornet (the catalog will tell you) then it's safe to donate.

The organization can always sell it and use the money elsewhere, of course.

QUESTION: Thank you for your prompt reply.  I have now noticed an inscription on the middle valve:  "True Tone" also the number 206.
My husband purchased a new mouthpiece from Dennis Wick, London which is still on the trumpet. I will now pass this info. on to the organization before I donate. Thanks again. Anne

The Model 206 is a small-bore horn with rotary key change to A. It should be good for a beginner student. If you have a mouthpiece that fits and works, it might have been modified over its lifetime to accept modern mouthpieces, in which case there should be no problem with a donation.

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.