Trumpet/Silver polish

Hi. I'm in high school and I messed up and put silver polish on my brass trumpet. I was wondering if that will have messed anything up that I can't see. My instrument is still shiny, is it only a matter of time before it starts looking bad or did I just get lucky and not rub anything off? Thank you so much for you're help.

As long as the polish you used did not have an abrasive nature, you should be fine. Now, BRASSO does work well on brass. The key is to lightly SPONGE it on, let it dry a little and then with a very soft microfiber or cotton cloth (like an old undershirt tshirt) you buff it out. Almost like waxing a car.

Hope that helps.

Gene Ramsay

PLEASE read my instructions to you as a questioner about horns and value, etc. Most of those answers can be found at

I feel confident to answer all questions regarding trumpet and brass performing, practice techniques, and equipment inquiries. We never stop being "students" in music as we strive to grow technically and musically over our lifetime. Music is something that truly individualizes people and I would treat every question based on the individual asking the question.

I have been performing on trumpet for over 30 years. I have taught privately for over 20 years and in the public schools for 5 years. I have taught and performed in drum and bugle corps, bands, ensembles, and solo.

Bugles Across America
International Trumpet Guild
VHHS Alumni Band
University of Montevallo Music Alumni
Madison Scouts Booster Organization

Drum Corps World

Bachelor's Degree from the University of Montevallo in Music Education.
Over 20 years of private instruction (various individuals).
5 years of instructing and performing in drum and bugle corps.

Alabama Assistant State Director for Bugles Across America - 2009-2010
Alabama State Director for Bugles Across America - 2010-Present
University of Montevallo Student MENC President - 1991-1992
Principal Trumpet - University of Montevallo - 1990-1992
Nuncie Leberte Music Scholarship - 1987-1988

Vestavia Hills High School
University of Montevallo
Southwind Drum and Bugle Corps
CorpsVets Drum and Bugle Corps