Trumpet/Echo cornet

I was given an echo cornet made by Nadir Ali & Co.(model 18?)(inscript reads Nadir Ali & Co.,manufacturers musicality instraments, Meerut). I can't find ANY info online. I was hoping to learn when it was made, value, is it rare, is it a good quality to learn on, ect. I'm a sax player, but I am very intruiged by this horn! Thank you!

One of many made in India. The chances of it being any better than a wallhanger is slim. Value is less than zero.

That said, ask your sax tech for a recommendation for a brass tech, and have it checked out. Who knows, it might not be awful... but temper your expectations.

If it turns out to be a certified wallhanger, look for vintage cornets on eBay. Buescher Aristocrats are undervalued, as are most other cornets. You can get a decent horn for less than $100 if you look hard and are patient. Your new friend the brass tech will be more than pleased to help you out because she will be the one to do the "playing condition" work once you find your cornet.

Or trumpet, if you will. But a cornet will be less expensive if you decide you just don't like it.

Welcome to the world of brass and I hope you enjoy it! Feel free to send more questions as they arise.

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.