Trumpet/going from D to C

Question
I'm finding a tension primarily when I am playing the notes D to C (middle C).  This happens mostly when I am tonguing, though it happens less when I am slurring.  I try to lessen this "tension"  (I compare it to radio static or interference) by loosening my lip and by practicing long tones or intervals (C to D, D to C).  I often get this "static" when I play down the scale.  What do I need to be doing? I'm working for clear tones, ascending and descending the scale.

Thanks, Joel

Answer
Joel,

It sounds like you have isolated the issue. That's good. As I stated earlier, without actually seeing you play and hearing what you are hearing I would have no idea. What I can say is that 80-90% of the time most tonal issues can be solved with more air. Not louder playing, but a more relaxed and open flow of air.
I will also say that since this issue seems to be related to two notes, the horn COULD be an issue. I don't know what horn you are playing on but some horns have quirks that can develop over time and sometimes...based on the manufacturer...those issues can be "built in".
I'm proud of you for staying with it. Keep it up.

Trumpet

Gene Ramsay