Trumpet/Refinishing a Bach Strativarius

Question
I have a Bach Strativarius that was given to me new in 1966.  I have kept the valves clean and oiled, but not played the instrument in 40 years.  2 of the slides are frozen and there are a few small tarnish spots on the bell.  Should I have it refinished, or will that hurt the value.  I am thinking of selling it.
Thanks

Answer
It's a difficult question to answer. If you're selling to a "novice" buyer, one who needs a playable horn, then freeing the slides and otherwise cleaning the horn with new corks, felts, and springs, would be a worthwhile investment.

On the other hand, selling your Bach to an experienced player, that player is much more likely to want to use his technician to do the work.

Only have the horn restored if you plan to keep it and play it. The cost is nearly $1000 these days, and many players would prefer the that the horn be kept as original as possible.

It is my opinion that you leave the horn as is and try to sell to an experienced player. Look on eBay's sold auctions for horns that are most like yours to determine a general price range, and good luck!

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger