Trumpet/Buescher Horn

Question
Mr. Krueger, I am not a brass player, but I have come into a Buescher Aristocrat horn that I believe is a coronet. It appears to be lacquered brass that is not in good condition.  The valves seem to operate freely and return to the full up position with no difficulty. There is a serial number 106328 on the middle valve and above the serial number is C229.  All of the engraving on the bell is on the left side with Buescher in block letters and Aristocrat in cursive. The valves appear to have mother of pearl insets.  As I do not play, I am considering donating this instrument to one of the local middle school bands, but would like some information before I do.  Anything you could tell me about this horn would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Bob

Answer
Your Aristocrat cornet was made when Buescher stopped making "Elkhart by Buescher" horns but used up their valve blocks with the Elkhart serial number range. So, age might be possiblly 1959 to 1961, but no way to know for sure.

The C229 cornet is still a good instrument and as long as the band director is older than you, he'll know what a prize he's getting. For purposes of tax deduction I would suggest $150 as a value.

Thank you for wanting to share with children who need a horn.

Tom

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger