Trumpet/e-flat cornet

I have an e-flat cornet.  I know it is in a higher key, but playing "g" (above middle c)is about like playing higher C on a trumpet or regular (B-flat) cornet.  To get C2 takes some blowing. How can I work into these higher higher notes?  With the trumpet, I do a lot of long tones.  Thanks, Joel

The approach to range is a physical and mental one that does not deviate based on the key of the instrument. Long tones are probably even more important on the Eb since you're most likely used to the tonality of the Bb more so.

Obviously flexibility plays a big role in range and proper air maintenance and control. If you expect range merely from long tones, you'll be working on them quite some time before you see results and not giving your embouchure the proper work out it needs to grow.

Keep at it and good luck.

Gene Ramsay

Gene Ramsay

PLEASE read my instructions to you as a questioner about horns and value, etc. Most of those answers can be found at

I feel confident to answer all questions regarding trumpet and brass performing, practice techniques, and equipment inquiries. We never stop being "students" in music as we strive to grow technically and musically over our lifetime. Music is something that truly individualizes people and I would treat every question based on the individual asking the question.

I have been performing on trumpet for over 30 years. I have taught privately for over 20 years and in the public schools for 5 years. I have taught and performed in drum and bugle corps, bands, ensembles, and solo.

Bugles Across America
International Trumpet Guild
VHHS Alumni Band
University of Montevallo Music Alumni
Madison Scouts Booster Organization

Drum Corps World

Bachelor's Degree from the University of Montevallo in Music Education.
Over 20 years of private instruction (various individuals).
5 years of instructing and performing in drum and bugle corps.

Alabama Assistant State Director for Bugles Across America - 2009-2010
Alabama State Director for Bugles Across America - 2010-Present
University of Montevallo Student MENC President - 1991-1992
Principal Trumpet - University of Montevallo - 1990-1992
Nuncie Leberte Music Scholarship - 1987-1988

Vestavia Hills High School
University of Montevallo
Southwind Drum and Bugle Corps
CorpsVets Drum and Bugle Corps