Trumpet/e-flat cornet

Question
I have an e-flat cornet.  I know it is in a higher key, but playing "g" (above middle c)is about like playing higher C on a trumpet or regular (B-flat) cornet.  To get C2 takes some blowing. How can I work into these higher higher notes?  With the trumpet, I do a lot of long tones.  Thanks, Joel

Answer
Joel,

The approach to range is a physical and mental one that does not deviate based on the key of the instrument. Long tones are probably even more important on the Eb since you're most likely used to the tonality of the Bb more so.

Obviously flexibility plays a big role in range and proper air maintenance and control. If you expect range merely from long tones, you'll be working on them quite some time before you see results and not giving your embouchure the proper work out it needs to grow.

Keep at it and good luck.

Musically,

Gene Ramsay

Trumpet

Gene Ramsay