Trumpet/trumpet embrochure

QUESTION: I wanted to do a check on my trumpet embrochure.  Many notes come clear, but I still get "static," or they sound like audio feedback.  I try to blow into the mouthpiece with both the upper and lower lip.  Do  I lessen lip tension with lower notes and use more tension for higher notes?  I'm trying to alleviate the "feedback."

Thanks, Joel

To be 100% fair, I'd need to hear what you're hearing to truly understand what you're describing. Can you be more descriptive the bell me here? Is this through all registers? How long have you been playing? What kind of horn and mouthpiece are you playing on?

QUESTION: I am a beginning trumpet player, so I'm playing in the basic register.  I often get "static" when I go from C (1) to D.  I may have asked about this before (forgive me if I have), but I'm trying to get my lip acclamated to clear notes.  I hate getting "buzzing" when I play.  Am I overlooking something? Where do see what kind of mouthpiece I have?  My horn is an Etude, a student horn.  I find I don't get such buzzing as much on a flugelhorn, mellophone, or even bass trumpet (and it, especially, has a larger mouthpiece).

Thanks for the response.

If you can't see what mouthpiece you are playing, let's remedy that as soon as possible. I'd try a few. The local music store should let you bring your horn and try some out. There are some online stores that do too. Try a Bach 3C, a Bach 5C, and a Bach 1 1/2 C. Listen for tone quality just like you are now.

Once you've done that then let me know how that goes.  

Gene Ramsay

PLEASE read my instructions to you as a questioner about horns and value, etc. Most of those answers can be found at

I feel confident to answer all questions regarding trumpet and brass performing, practice techniques, and equipment inquiries. We never stop being "students" in music as we strive to grow technically and musically over our lifetime. Music is something that truly individualizes people and I would treat every question based on the individual asking the question.

I have been performing on trumpet for over 30 years. I have taught privately for over 20 years and in the public schools for 5 years. I have taught and performed in drum and bugle corps, bands, ensembles, and solo.

Bugles Across America
International Trumpet Guild
VHHS Alumni Band
University of Montevallo Music Alumni
Madison Scouts Booster Organization

Drum Corps World

Bachelor's Degree from the University of Montevallo in Music Education.
Over 20 years of private instruction (various individuals).
5 years of instructing and performing in drum and bugle corps.

Alabama Assistant State Director for Bugles Across America - 2009-2010
Alabama State Director for Bugles Across America - 2010-Present
University of Montevallo Student MENC President - 1991-1992
Principal Trumpet - University of Montevallo - 1990-1992
Nuncie Leberte Music Scholarship - 1987-1988

Vestavia Hills High School
University of Montevallo
Southwind Drum and Bugle Corps
CorpsVets Drum and Bugle Corps