Trumpet/Trumpet Performance

Question
QUESTION: Having problems with an airy tone.  I've checked the embouchure, made sure the student was supporting properly, closed off the sinuses and even checked the horn for leaks.  I have him doing daily long tones and lip slurs and has been doing these for the last 2-3 months.  In your opinion, what else might I try...I'm out of ideas.

ANSWER: Rob,

Been there my friend. I need to know a few things:

1-how long have they been playing?
2-type of horn?
3-mouthpiece size?
4-general embouchure evaluation?
5-is this consistent or only in certain registers?

QUESTION: Hey Gene, I won't see him until next week - but let me give you what I know now:

- Played for 3 years (just completed the 8th grade, heading to HS)
- Have to check on the horn make/model.
- Bach 5C
- Embouchure is balanced 1/2 and 1/2.  No undue pressure noted on lips.
- Fairly consistent throughout the range of the horn

Been doing this a few years myself, but this one has me stymied!  Only thing I can guess at this point is that maybe he's hedging on his daily warmups and not really doing them as I request.  Just not seeing the improvement...but I want to be sure every other base is covered before I accuse him of slacking!

Thanks much!

- RH

Answer
RH,

The only red flag I saw MIGHT be the 5C. Can I assume he had developed this tonal sound or did he come to you with it?

The 5C may be too small for his embouchure. Try out some mouthpieces next go around and see if a larger rim abs cup size gets the seal we want.

After that, it's a work in progress. Airy tones like that would only pop up in my playing after really long times of not playing. It sounds like he's working at least a little.

I'm here if you need me.

Last thing...be sure HE can hear it. It does no good if you're working on it in lessons and can't hear it himself. Just a quick reminder.  

Trumpet

Gene Ramsay