Trumpet/1913 Buescher True Tone Trumpet valve question

Trumpet Serial #
Trumpet Serial #  
Good afternoon,

I have a vintage 1913 Buescher True Tone Trumpet (Serial #22708) that I bought at a garage sale a couple years ago for $5.00. (Don't hate me, it also had an early 1920's V Bach Corp. New York 7C mouthpiece) After some intensive cleaning and lubrication, the trumpet cleaned up nicely with very few dings. The only problem with the instrument is the #1 valve looks like someone has replaced it with one that has cracks and filler in it causing the trumpet to play out of tune and very tight like it's clogged. Do you know of anywhere I can find a #1 valve? It looks like it would be an easy fix if one was available. I'd like to fix it so my son can use it for playing solos in his High School band.

I'm afraid it's just not worth it. Manufactuing a valve would cost hundreds. A valve refit for the entire horn, and you know it needs it, is $450.

As for your son playing it... thare are a lot better horns you can buy. The Buescher Model 244 currently on eBay, for example, is a good buy.

Messing with these ancient horns are only worthwhile if there is some nostalgic connection.  

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.