Trumpet/Age of C.G. Conn Elkhart trumpet

Hello Kenneth,

I have been researching my grandpa's old trumpet made by C.G. Conn and seem to be confused on if I am checking the correct list based on the serial number.  I am trying to confirm if it is a 1920's trumpet.  I was given it in the 80's when he passed away and I believe he purchased it back before he married my Grandma and was in the Navy. I checked the advise from and but there seems to be some notes as to the mix up on serial number lists with woodwind vs brass in this company or I am just not understanding how it all works.  My serial # is 229910 and there is a * stamped near toward the bottom of the valve which if I understand might explain the story from family that it is silver plated.  Although it looks to be worn in the areas where skin would have rubbed to a golden color.  Where the mouth piece goes in is 22B and I really don't understand what that means.  The print on the horn would fit the floral engraving description.  Can you help me trace the story more to my Grandpa's trumpet please?
Blessings, Cindy

The Conn Loyalist site is the best source of information for Conn instruments. The 22B is the model number for the New York Symphony model, this one made in 1925.

Here is more information on the early 22B:

That trumpet is definitely worth keeping in the family, if you can.

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.