Trumpet/Buescher super aristocrat

QUESTION: Hi Thomas, my son just inherited a super aristocrat trumpet, it's serial# 442697,I don't think it's really of any value but for his sake he would like to know the quality of play. He's been playing a few years and has been ( renting) one. He plays very well and would love to use it. any help would be great Thanks

ANSWER: When the Super Aristocrat was offered, it was considered the intermediate between the Aristocrat and the 400. Your Super Aristocrat is from about 1967 give or take a year. It should be nickel plated all over.

Buescher instruments are becoming more well known and the prices are rising. As for quality, it will hold its own with any modern horn you care to name, so he won't be disappointed. Make sure you get it professionally cleaned, which will include corks and felts as necessary. If the springs  have red lacquer on them, they're the original stainless steel springs, leave those, they don't wear out.

QUESTION: Thanks for the prompt answer, however the trumpet is solid brass doe's this make a difference in what you know or just a later model. It is in brand knew condition as well thanks again .       Tony

I used the 1966 catalog to determine which instrument you had, since it was the closest to the estimated date for the serial number. After the Selmer buyout of Buescher, the availability of records prevents getting too specific, plus they changed the model characteristics several times.

As for overall usability, with the nickel plate or without, not much difference. All that matters is what comes out of the bell once he tries it!

Good luck with his playing of this horn.

Thomas Krueger

I can answer your questions about Buescher trumpets and cornets. I have been playing Buescher for 35 years and collecting for 7.

I first started playing my grandfather's Buescher 400 trumpet in 1975. Since then I have done a lot of research, including original catalogs and advertisements that I own, correspondence with other Buescher owners, and obtaining my own Buescher collection, including six trumpets and three cornets.

I am a technical writer with 15 years experience. I have also been playing trumpet since 1975 and collecting Buescher for the past 7 years.