Trumpet/embrochure

Question
I am a self-taught trumpeter and am struggling with my embrochure.  I try to get a clear tone, then I get static like on the radio.  I need to get it more consistent and I wonder if my lip stays in the right place.  I also play bass trumpet and seem to do better with the larger mouthpiece.  Would a larger mouthpiece help on my regular trumpet?

Answer
Maybe yes, maybe no. The trumpet is the hardest instrument to play, and you're trying to do it unguided.

You can certainly go to the music store and try the mouthpieces they have for that purpose. If a larger piece works for you, that's terrific.

What I really suggest you do is find a private teacher. You don't have to take weekly lessons and spend a lot of money, but a lesson or two and coming along to try mouthpieces and guide you to the right one is a very good use of your limited time and money.

If you must do it on your own... pick used mouthpieces either at the local store or on eBay.

I wish you would have said what size you play on, but I like the Schilke 14 for an average size to try out. Not a fan of the Bach 3C, which is a popular choice.

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger