Trumpet/Question re Benge trumpet

Question
I have a trumpet and flugel horn custom-built by Benge when they were located in Burbank. The trumpet's (brass)serial #7448L and the flugel horn's (silver) serial #24105. The trumpet is in very good condition and the flugel horn is in mint condition. What is the approximate value of each horn? I plan to have the small dents removed. Would it detract from the value of the trumpet if I have it refinished or would it be of more value if I leave it as it is? Thanks

Answer
Both horns are likely to bring more than $1000 each, and probably more than that in the condition they are in.

For the trumpet, you'll get varied opinions on whether relacquering would reduce its desirability or its value, and there is no concensus.

If you're going to keep the trumpet, and it seems like you will be, I'd recommend that you send it to one of the premier technicians. I recommend Charlie Melk because I am most familiar with his work, but there are others to recommend as well based on your location. A full restoration will cost extra, but your horn will play better than new afterwards.

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger