Trumpet/Henri Selmer Paris Silver Trumpet

Question
I have my father's Henri Selmer Paris Silver Trumpet. It is in good playing condition with minor wear and tear. It has a engraved bell with the following inscribed on top.
         Henri
         SELMER
         Paris
         DEPOSE

GRAND PRIX
      GENEVE 1927  LIEGE 1930

Place Dancourt
         PARIS
         MADE IN FRANCE
Left Side of Valves:75-74-73, Center valve 4180

What background information and current value can you provide on this instrument?

Thank you very much,
Bruce

Answer
I bet tha's a lovely horn to play and I hope you keep it!

A little background on the numbers you're seeing.

The French would assemble valve blocks in batches, and would number valve casings in sequence from one to 99, in other words, 33 sets at a time.

4180 is the serial number of the horn. I have not found a list with a serial this low. Clearly it is after 1930, and might be pre-war... or not.

Value for this horn is entirely dependent on condition. A few hundred as a minimum I think is reasonable. Silver plate implies the original owner appreciated the horn that much more.

I can't give you a more accurate value than that. How well it plays and how nice it looks will both give you a better sense of its value. But I'm sorry I can't do any better for you on the value.

That it's your father's horn is significant, of course. I learned to play on my grandfather's horn, and while it's not "worth" a lot... but it is. While I was flattered to have a pro player wanting to buy it... no, it's a family heirloom.

Thanks for writing!

Trumpet

Thomas Krueger