Trusts & Estates Law/extraordinary fees

Question
My aunt died without a will and the public administrator stepped in, emptied her bank account (and spent it) and packed up her house and moved all the boxes to storage BEFORE they were even appointed.  

Then, an heirfinder found me and my brother. We are niece/nephew. The attorney handling the probate had to step in over a year since the PA got involved.  So they had to hire movers and re-move all the boxes (59 boxes)which had ALL been marked "bric brac" back to her house, open and inventory everything. Organize the estate sale and then the sale of the house. Finally all the money is in an account.

My question is twofold. Can we make the PA give back all the money they took? I mean they weren't even appointed by the Court and I find their cost & fee statement highly questionable.  Also, all that extra work the attorney did we know is an extraordinary service..but how do you access a dollar value to it?

THANK YOU

Answer
Thank you for letting me know that California law applies.  Unfortunately, the Public Administrator has fairly wide discretion in these situations ... they step in when there are no known heirs.  In fact Section 7601 of the California probate code specifically says:  "If no personal representative has been appointed, the public administrator of a county shall take prompt possession or control of property of a decedent in the county that is deemed by the
public administrator to be subject to loss, injury, waste, or misappropriation."

So they're specifically authorized to act before a personal representative has been appointed.

The code also says:  "If the public administrator takes possession or control of property of a decedent under this article, but another person is subsequently appointed personal representative or subsequently takes control or possession, the public administrator is entitled to reasonable costs incurred for the preservation of the estate, together with reasonable compensation for services. The costs and compensation are a proper expense of administration."

As for their cost and fees ... you can try petitioning the Court, but I don't know if it would do much good.

As for the dollar value of the attorney's work, California law requires the attorney to submit a declaration stating what s/he did that is "extraordinary".  The Judge reviews the declaration.  If the lawyer was the one opening & inventorying the boxes, selling the property at an estate sale, etc., at a lawyer's hourly rate, the Judge will probably reduce the fee.  But it frankly depends on the judge and the county - I've seen relatively reasonable fees reduced and I've seen ridiculously high fees approved.

Wish I could be more help.

Trusts & Estates Law

Janet Brewer