Trusts & Estates Law/Title Transfer with Bill of Sale

Question
My brother was terminally ill and passed away recently.  Before he died, he signed a bill of sale selling his car to my father.  Shortly after, he took a turn for the worst and passed away (a few weeks later) before he was able to able to sign the car title.  Is there a way for my father to title the car in his name without going through Probate?  The car is the only thing that my brother owned.  I submitted the bill of sale along with a replacement title request to the Department of Motor Vehicles and it was denied because my father's name isn't on the title.

Answer
Hi Stacy,

I'm sorry about your brother.  Unfortunately there is no way to avoid probate now.  He can still get insurance on the car and drive it but he can't sell it.   Probating one item shouldn't be that difficult.

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

David Disraeli

Trusts & Estates Law

David Disraeli