You are here:

Trusts & Estates Law/Title Transfer with Bill of Sale


My brother was terminally ill and passed away recently.  Before he died, he signed a bill of sale selling his car to my father.  Shortly after, he took a turn for the worst and passed away (a few weeks later) before he was able to able to sign the car title.  Is there a way for my father to title the car in his name without going through Probate?  The car is the only thing that my brother owned.  I submitted the bill of sale along with a replacement title request to the Department of Motor Vehicles and it was denied because my father's name isn't on the title.

Hi Stacy,

I'm sorry about your brother.  Unfortunately there is no way to avoid probate now.  He can still get insurance on the car and drive it but he can't sell it.   Probating one item shouldn't be that difficult.

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

David Disraeli

Trusts & Estates Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David Disraeli


I can answer general questions about estate planning and trusts. I can also answer questions about estate tax reduction and advanced charitable giving, family partnerships and asset protection. I may have already answered your question here: or here


I have worked for 24 years with clients and their attorneys to formulate estate plans to meet client goals. I have found many mistakes made by client attorneys and were able to have them corrected. I focus on making sure that beneficiaries are protected from current or future spouses and lawsuits so the wealth stays in the family. I have also published a book on Aging Parents which can be found on Amazon

President and founder of The Personal CFO Inc.


Certified Financial Planner 1994

©2017 All rights reserved.