Trusts & Estates Law/Excessive Estate Fees for Amendments to my Dad and his deceased wife's Trust

Question
My Dad's wife passed away Jan 2011.  They have a Living Trust dtd 1987, total estate value approx $500K (includes his residence and a mountain home (total appraised RE value $450K, about $20K in gold/collectibles, and $30K savings.  Due to his poor health, I moved him recently from LA into a senior community near me in San Jose.

When I discovered in Oct 2012 that he had never filed a Death of Trustee affidavit, I found a local SJ lawyer to do this, issue an Amendment to the Trust, record DOTs with the counties, and update his Financial and Med POAs.  We signed a Fee Agreement of $250/hr for the lawyer and $50/hr for his admin asst.  To date we have paid over $5,200 for his services - isn't that extraordinarily excessive?  I think we are done, but I am afraid to ask, because my Dad will be charged for his time!  Would greatly appreciate your feedback/advice.

Answer
I would need to know more information before I could make any meaningful comments on whether those fees are excessive or not - but based on the information you provided, it does seem quite high, especially given the hourly rates for the lawyer and the paralegal.  

Assuming that there's a correlation between hourly rate and experience (which isn't always true), sometimes it make sense to "pay more" per hour to find someone with more experience who can accomplish what needs to be done in less time.

Here's what the California Rules of Professional Conduct have to say about whether a fee is unconscionable or not:  http://rules.calbar.ca.gov/Rules/RulesofProfessionalConduct/CurrentRules/Rule420

Has the lawyer provided time records to show what he's done and how long it took?  How much of the work was the lawyer doing vs. the paralegal?

If you believe the fee was excessive, you can request fee arbitration through the Santa Clara County Bar Association by phoning (408) 975-2114.

Good luck

Trusts & Estates Law

Janet Brewer