Trusts & Estates Law/Setting up a trust

Question
Hi, first, thank you so much for taking your time to do this service. :) My question has to do with setting up a trust for my husband and I (we have children). Recently, he met with his best friend who is a lawyer and does estate planning and supposedly his laywer friend suggested we set up two separate trusts (one for each of us rather than one in both our names). He said something about if your marriage is solid, this is the way to go because of tax laws and it being easier to make changes, lots of legal jargon, etc(???). Anyway, since this is my husbands' good friend (and not mine), I want to make sure this is the case and that it is what is best for both of us as it seems to the average person it would be the opposite and separate trusts would be best for each individual rather than a couple who plan to stay together? Any insight you can provide would be helpful.
thanks!

Answer
Thanks for your question.  You don't say what state you live in.  

In California it's quite common (in fact, it's the "norm") for a married couple to set up a joint trust - especially because under our "community property" laws there are some important estate tax benefits that cannot be used (at least not as easily) if the husband and wife each set up their own trusts (if you are in a community property state, I suggest that you ask the lawyer about the use of the "double step-up" in cost basis and whether it's available if you use separate trusts; if you aren't in a community property state, then the "double step-up" doesn't apply to you).

In non-community property states separate trusts are used far more often than joint trusts.

I don't understand what the lawyer meant that "if your marriage is solid, this is the way to go because of tax laws".

It "might" be easier to make changes if it's a separate trust ... you would be able to change your trust without having to get your husband to agree to the changes, and he would be able to change his trust without getting you to agree.  BUT ... assuming you both would do the "usual" thing and leave your property to the surviving spouse (perhaps in an irrevocable trust) and then to your children, I don't see how having 2 trusts is any easier - presumably you'd both be making changes at the same time and you'd be making the same changes.

Have you checked out this lawyer's credentials?  I suggest you look him up on Avvo (dot com) and on SuperLawyers (dot com).  If your state has "certified legal specialists", then I'd also check to see if he's certified as a specialist in estate planning.... there are a lot of lawyers out there who think that estate planning is "easy" and so they dabble in it.  I don't like "dabblers" (but I admit that I'm prejudiced).

In any event it sounds like you aren't entirely comfortable with this guy.  Even if he's a "good friend" of your husband (or maybe because he's a good friend), you need to make sure you believe he has your best interests at heart.  The lawyer has a "legal obligation" to treat both you and your husband fairly, but that's sometimes easier in theory than it is in practice.  There are lots of competent lawyers out there.  Make sure you're comfortable with whomever you use.

Trusts & Estates Law

Janet Brewer