Trusts & Estates Law/Revocable LivingTrust

My 91 yr old mother has a revocable living trust which names herself, my brother and 3 members from an investment management firm.  Her money has dwindled over the years and she wants to get out of dealing with the investment managers and have my husband handle her finances, since this is his area of expertise. She wants to name herself, myself, my husband and my brother as the trustees, so the trust needs to be amended.  She spoke with an attorney (free advice for seniors) to find out how to amend the names in the trust and remove the investment managers.  He advised her to order a revocable trust kit from and he would help her fill it out and notarize.  To amend the trust, is this the best way?  This is in Massachusetts and I see the cost to order this kit is about 360.00.

No the best way is to hire a estate planning attorney.  I don't use forms and I don't recommended them.  Even though it is revocable, if something happens to your mom, mentally or if she dies, there is no way to amend it - and that is when you will find out if there is a problem. If she trusts your husband by all means don't pay a manager.

She may not need a living trust at all.  If she put that money in a joint account she would avoid probate anyway.  So the question always goes back to why do you want a living trust anyway?  They are promoted to avoid probate, but they are plenty of ways to avoid probate.  

Of course I don't know your complete situation so I can't say one way or the other.  I do offer a free 30 minute call to users of this site.  Let me know if you would like to schedule that.

David Disraeli

Trusts & Estates Law

David Disraeli

I can answer general questions about estate planning and trusts. I can also answer questions about estate tax reduction and advanced charitable giving, family partnerships and asset protection. I may have already answered your question here: or here

I have worked for 24 years with clients and their attorneys to formulate estate plans to meet client goals. I have found many mistakes made by client attorneys and were able to have them corrected. I focus on making sure that beneficiaries are protected from current or future spouses and lawsuits so the wealth stays in the family. I have also published a book on Aging Parents which can be found on Amazon

President and founder of The Personal CFO Inc.

Certified Financial Planner 1994