Trusts & Estates Law/probate affidavit

Question
Hello Ms Brewer,

I hope that your time off was pleasant.  This question is rather specific: there is a form used by the California DMV in connection with the sale of a vehicle by a representative of an estate called:
AFFIDAVIT FOR TRANSFER WITHOUT PROBATE CALIFORNIA TITLED VEHICLE OR VESSELS ONLY
(link to form: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg5.pdf

One of the attestations is "that there are no creditors of the deceased whose claims remain unsatisfied."  There is no reference to any law or regulation.  I take this to refer to the absence of claims on the vehicle as opposed to the entirety of the deceased estate. Is that how you see it?  Thanks so much.

Leland

Answer
Thanks for your question.

Sorry to disappoint you, but this refers to all of the decedent's creditors, not just claims against the vehicle.  Take a look at California probate code section 13109, which is referenced in the affidavit:  "A person to whom payment, delivery, or transfer of the decedent's property is made under this chapter is personally liable, to the extent provided in Section 13112, for the unsecured debts of the decedent. Any such debt may be enforced against the person in the same manner as it could have been enforced against the decedent if the decedent had not died."

When you sign the affidavit that you're entitled to the vehicle, you're also swearing that the decedent had no "unsatisfied debts", whether those debts are mortgage payments, medical bills, credit card bills, utility bills, etc.  

Trusts & Estates Law

Janet Brewer