Trusts & Estates Law/California Probate

Question
My husband died with a will in Chelan County Washington.  None of his Washington assets required probate.  However, he owns interest in a house in Pasadena, CA.  I was hoping to take advantage of the Spousal Transfer of Property.  However, and I realize you might not be able to answer this, when I called the clerk in Chelan County she said they don't probate wills that don't have an estate to probate.  How do I get the will registered and get letters of testamentary? I may very well need a lawyer in California for various issues, but I would like to avoid one here if possible.

Answer
I'm very sorry about your husband's death.  Your husband's will can be admitted to probate in California under the circumstances you describe.  Depending on what the will says, it should also be possible to do a spousal property petition to have the house transferred to your name.

If you would like my assistance, you can contact me through my website (www.calprobate.com) or by phone at (650) 325-8276.

Janet

Trusts & Estates Law

Janet Brewer