Trusts & Estates Law/California Trust - Have Moved to Florida

Question
My wife and I have a “Revocable Trust” along with the usual bells and whistles:  I.E.  1. Last Will and Testament for Husband [me];  2. Last Will and Testament for Wife [We are both still living]. 3. Durable power of attorney for both of us naming the other.  All documents were completed [signed and witnessed] in California in 1988 and have not  been looked at or modified since then. The only Items transferred to the trust are a timeshare [1 week ownership]  in Ventura, California.

In 1995 we moved to Florida  and plan to remain here until we die. We are now in our mid seventies.  When we moved, we sold our home in California and bought a home in Florida which we have not put into the trust.  Are we okay with the California Documents or do we need to add something to it or draw up new documents entirely. I would like to avoid future probates.

Answer
Thanks for your question.  Under the "full faith and credit" clause of the US Constitution if a document (like a will or a trust) was valid in the state where it was established, it will be honored in the other 49 states ... so your trust should be honored in Florida unless it was flawed to begin with.

But you will not avoid probate on your assets unless your assets are "titled" in the name of the trust.  So if you own a house that's not in the trust, it will need to go through probate.  Likewise, any investment accounts, bank accounts in only one name, etc. (NOTE:  do not put IRAs, 401ks, Roths, and other retirement accounts into the name of the trust - that will trigger income taxes - instead, the trust can be the beneficiary of those accounts, if that's the appropriate solution for you).

In addition, your trust probably refers to "community property".  It sounds like the only "community property" you might still own is the timeshare in Ventura.  Only a few states recognize community property - that doesn't mean that it's illegal in other states (such as Florida), but it's irrelevant in those states, and I doubt that many (if any) Florida lawyers understand it ... and if the lawyers who will be involved in settling your estate don't understand the community property concept, it might be significantly more expensive to "administer" the estate when both you and your wife are gone.

If you haven't updated your trust since 1988, you are long overdue for an update.  There have been significant changes in the tax laws since then.  

I suggest that you contact a Florida attorney about completely "restating" your trust (keeping the name the same in case there are any assets in the name of the current trust that you've forgotten about ... otherwise, it's an expensive nightmare to get the institutions to hand the assets over to your beneficiaries after you're gone) ... as I tell my clients, a restatement is like a whole house remodel ... you tear down all the walls except one; you keep the street address (in this case, the name of the trust) the same, but you rebuild it in an entirely different way.

A restatement (especially since you've changed states) will probably cost you almost as much as the trust did initially - but the trust you have is as out-of-date as a 1988 Ford with 275,000 miles on it .... it might still run (barely), but you're not going to get very good performance from it ... and the replacement parts are getting harder and harder to find and cost more than if you got a newer car (sorry, I like to use a lot of analogies).

Hope this helps.

Trusts & Estates Law

Janet Brewer