Trusts & Estates Law/inherited IRA

My mother is 82 and has an IRA for which I am the beneficiary.  It is expected that I will “share” this with my 3 siblings upon her death.  How would I do this?  Will I be able to “cash it in” ?  Or, while she’s alive, should I have her change the beneficiary to all 4 children, so that upon her death, we would each receive a smaller IRA?
Thank you.

Hi Diane,

You cannot share an IRA.  You must change the beneficiary while she is alive.  Or at least I am not aware of any way that a person can make a gift of an IRA to a non-spouse.

So you should do what you suggested.  Change the beneficiary to four equally.  

David Disraeli

Trusts & Estates Law

David Disraeli

I can answer general questions about estate planning and trusts. I can also answer questions about estate tax reduction and advanced charitable giving, family partnerships and asset protection. I may have already answered your question here: or here

I have worked for 24 years with clients and their attorneys to formulate estate plans to meet client goals. I have found many mistakes made by client attorneys and were able to have them corrected. I focus on making sure that beneficiaries are protected from current or future spouses and lawsuits so the wealth stays in the family. I have also published a book on Aging Parents which can be found on Amazon

President and founder of The Personal CFO Inc.

Certified Financial Planner 1994