Trusts & Estates Law/inherited IRA

Question
My mother is 82 and has an IRA for which I am the beneficiary.  It is expected that I will “share” this with my 3 siblings upon her death.  How would I do this?  Will I be able to “cash it in” ?  Or, while she’s alive, should I have her change the beneficiary to all 4 children, so that upon her death, we would each receive a smaller IRA?
Thank you.

Answer
Hi Diane,

You cannot share an IRA.  You must change the beneficiary while she is alive.  Or at least I am not aware of any way that a person can make a gift of an IRA to a non-spouse.

So you should do what you suggested.  Change the beneficiary to four equally.  

David Disraeli
www.pcfo.net

Trusts & Estates Law

David Disraeli