Trusts & Estates Law/Life Estate

Question
I am 86 years old, live in TN.  My husband died over 20 years ago and in his will left all property to me in a Life Estate. I can live in my home until I die and any income from the property comes to me as long as I am alive. When I die the Life Estate then goes to my two sons and then finally to my grandchildren who can sell it.

I am in trouble because one of my sons will not agree to sell the property and I am land poor - I have to pay land taxes ($4600.) on this property every year and the money left over helps me pay for the cost of living along with my social security.

I am now in poor physical health and it would help me tremendously if I could qualify for TennCare so I could get private duty sitters to help me. However with this Life Estate and the rental income (15,195. annually) I do not qualify for TennCare.

I don't even know what will happen if I have to go to the nursing home with this property tied up like this.

Can I sign this property over to my sons because I am no longer able to manage this property - can I sign it over to them to get TennCare or the help that I need?

Can you give me any advice to help me in this situation?

Answer
I'm very sorry for the delay in answering your question (I was not feeling well last week).

I am not admitted to practice law in Tennessee, so I don't know exactly how TennCare works.  It sounds like it might be similar to what we call "Medi-Cal" here in California.  If that is the case, then signing the property over to your sons will not qualify you for assistance.

The qualification rules for these types of programs vary significantly from state to state.  You need to speak to a TN attorney who is very familiar with how this particular program works.

There is an organization called "the National Association of Elder Law Attorneys" [ naela.org ].  Many of the lawyers who belong to that organization are familiar with these kinds of programs.  There are a number of attorneys listed on their website who are located in TN.  Perhaps one of them can assist you.

Trusts & Estates Law

Janet Brewer