Trusts & Estates Law/Mothers Will

Hi David,

I live in the state of Delaware and my mother has just recently had her will redone due to the fact that my father passed away about a year ago. She has named my sister and myself as both being executors of the will and we are to split everything down the middle 50/50. My question is simple and to the point. Is there anything my sister could do to make sure that I don't receive my half? Honestly, I don't trust my sister and think she would be vindictive after my mothers passing. Just for the record, my mother is 83, in relatively good health and does pretty good on her own.

Good question.  It depends on whether you are co-executors or either or.  Co means it requires both.  Can you send me the exact language?

OK since you are co-executors my understanding is that both executors must agree on all actions taken.  Please keep in mind that I don't know the laws in DE.  You are wise to be cautious.  Depending on how large the estate is you may want to consider a living trust.  

Hope I helped some.

David Disraeli

Trusts & Estates Law

David Disraeli

I can answer general questions about estate planning and trusts. I can also answer questions about estate tax reduction and advanced charitable giving, family partnerships and asset protection. I may have already answered your question here: or here

I have worked for 24 years with clients and their attorneys to formulate estate plans to meet client goals. I have found many mistakes made by client attorneys and were able to have them corrected. I focus on making sure that beneficiaries are protected from current or future spouses and lawsuits so the wealth stays in the family. I have also published a book on Aging Parents which can be found on Amazon

President and founder of The Personal CFO Inc.

Certified Financial Planner 1994