Trusts & Estates Law/wills and trust


My mother passed and named a distant relative as the executor or her estate. The executor has told me that my son is the only person named in my mothers will as receiving anything and that her wishes were that her assets be put into a trust fund for him specifically for his education(college) and nothing else and that once he chooses to go to school we are to contact her and she will write out checks to the educational institution. My son is only 6 yrs. old and his mother and I have asked for info about exactly what is available to him...i.e. how much is in trust. She refuses to give us any information at all. We just want to know whats there and how it will be handled over the next decade. Accountings, investment returns, taxes, interest, etc.... she says she is not dealing with us and that maybe we should talk to a lawyer.. My question is, As the parent of the minor benificiary do I have the right to the information I have asked for in order to protect and watch my sons college money???

I'm sorry, but I am not admitted to practice law in Pennsylvania, so I don't know what your rights are.  If the law is similar to that of California, then you would have the right to this information.  You need to contact a PA. lawyer to find out the proper procedure to enforce your right to this information (assuming that you have one).

Trusts & Estates Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Janet Brewer


BE CAREFUL about taking legal advice from non-lawyers.

I am a licensed attorney in California. I am available to answer questions about probating estates, preparing wills and trusts, administering estates and trusts, forming family limited partnerships and limited liability companies, and establishing a wide variety of estate and gift tax-sensitive trusts (charitable trusts, children's trusts, irrevocable life insurance trusts, etc.).

I can also answer questions regarding the preparation of estate tax returns (Form 706) in taxable estates. Please note that I do not prepare trust income tax returns and cannot provide you with any information about that type of return.

Please note: I am only able to practice law in the State of California. I cannot answer specific questions about other states' laws; I can only provide some "general" information that may or may not apply to your situation.


I have practiced California estate, gift-planning, and probate law exclusively since 1991. I am certified as a specialist in estate planning and probate law by the California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization (there are less than 125 such specialists practicing in Santa Clara County and fewer than 7,000 practicing in California - out of over 170,000 lawyers statewide).

I have served as an Instructor in the CFP (certificate in financial planning) program at University of California Santa Cruz, teaching the estate planning segment.

Silicon Valley Bar Association
Wealth Counsel
Wealth Advisors' Forum
Executive Committee Member, Solo and Small Firm Section of the California State Bar (appointed to a 3 year term by the California State Bar Board of Governors)

I received my law degree (J.D.) from University of Denver Law School in 1975. I was admitted to the Colorado Bar in 1975 and to the California Bar in 1977 (NOTE: although I am a member of the Colorado Bar, I am on INACTIVE status there). I earned an M.B.A. in 1982, and I earned a Masters Degree in Taxation Law (LLM) at Golden Gate University Law School in 2010 (with honors).

More at:

Awards and Honors
2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, & 2012 - chosen as a "SuperLawyer" - one of the top 5% of Northern California lawyers practicing in the estate planning and probate area ( Avvo Rating of 10.0/10.0

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]