Trusts & Estates Law/Executors

Question
QUESTION: Hello:

Is it a good idea to use a trust company from a bank as an executor for a person's will?

I thank you for your reply.

ANSWER: It depends on how large the estate is and whether you anyone else you can use.  Trust co's are expensive and charge for everything.  You may not have a choice but I would try and find a friend, CPA, attorney first.

David Disraeli

www.pcfo.net

QUESTION: Hello:

I want to thank you for the reply!

I have a small estate, if you want to call it that. I am single no children.
When I spoke with the attorney about an executor, I suggested that the law firm be the executor.  The attorney said that it would be better to use the trust company in town.  I plan on having the will updated someday and when I do, I will select a different attorney from the firm and ask again for the law firm to be my executor.  The attorney did not give me a reason for not using the firm as the executor.

I do not feel comfortable asking a friend or out of state relative to be my executor.

Thanks again for your advice!

Answer
You attorney doesn't want the hassell.  I don't blame him.  A trust is personally liable for they decisions.  Keep shopping around.  My hunch is an attorney will agree to a modest fee schedule.  

I glad I helped.  I just have a sour taste about trust companies.  Make sure that you allow the beneficiaries to switch trust co's.  I've see horror stories when you have to use a certain trust co.

David

Trusts & Estates Law

David Disraeli