Trusts & Estates Law/Trust Ownership

Question
Ok.  I am wondering if a trust can own a life insurance policy on a person? I do understand say that I can get a life insurance policy on myself or another, but was wondering if the ownership of that policy be changed to a trust.  Hopefully you understand where I am trying to go with that.  Thank you for your help and response in this matter.

Answer
Thanks for your question.  Since this is a matter of "federal" law I can answer it even though you are not in California.  

The short answer is ... life insurance trusts are very common.  So, yes, a trust can indeed own a life insurance policy.  Usually the life insurance trust is "irrevocable" so that the "payoff value" of the policy is not part of the insured's estate when s/he dies (so, for example if the life insurance policy were $20 million and the insured owned it, it would be subject to estate tax when the insured person dies - but if that same $20 million policy is owned by a properly drafted life insurance trust, it is completely estate tax free when the insured person dies).

If the trust is established before the insurance policy has been issued and the trustee of the trust applies for the insurance, then the policy proceeds are "protected" from the moment the policy is issued.  But if the policy has already been issued and then it is transferred to an ILIT (irrevocable life insurance trust), then there is a 3 year "look back" period - that is, if the policy owner transfers the policy to an ILIT after the policy has been issued, then the insured must live at least 3 years or the value will be included in his/her estate.  In addition, if the policy had any "value" between the date it was issued and the date it was transferred to the ILIT (for example, the policy earned interest or dividends, etc.), then that "value" is considered a gift and potentially is subject to gift tax.

Hope that helps.

Trusts & Estates Law

Janet Brewer