Trusts & Estates Law/mortgage

Question
Hi, my mom and I were 24 hour caregivers of my grandmother, she had alzhiemer's disease. My mom was her power of attorney, and in life estate. My mom always paid all the bills,and mortgage. My grandmother died february 2012, my mom became owner of the house. We called the tax office and told them, we told Social Security, we didn't know who else we should tell. We didn't change the name on the mortgage, we just left it in my grandmother's name and kept paying it like we always have. Do we have to change the mortgage to my mom's name? Can we get in trouble if we don't? Thanks"

Answer
No - worst case is the mortgage company can call the note due - but how would they find out?

I would just keep paying it until you are ready to sell it.  The only thing that might trigger a response is if you probate her will and put the house in your mother's name.  Sounds like you have done that that.  Still they have no way of knowing.  Hope this helps.  

David Disraeli

Trusts & Estates Law

David Disraeli