Trusts & Estates Law/intestate succession

Question
Hello
  I have been paying mortgage on mothers home for ten years. She died intestate and  I am only heir. I have documents from surrogate as administrix. My concern is I have tax lein on personal taxes. I haven't transferred house in my name for fear of losing mothers home. Also afraid mortgage company will not let me keep house because of debt. I have lost out of using yearly interest on home.All of monies paid to mortgage company was my personal money. There was no one else who could have taken over payments, and I didn't want mothers home to be lost, Can you advise?

Answer
Thanks for your question.  I'm only admitted to practice law in California, so you'll need to contact a New Jersey lawyer about how transferring title to your name will affect the tax lien.... I presume that the tax lien will be "attached" to the house and that if you tried to sell or refinance it, the lien would need to be paid off first, but I don't know.  I also don't know if the tax authority would be able to foreclose on the house if the tax bill isn't paid (that falls more into the scope of a real estate lawyer's practice ...).

As for the mortgage, assuming that the "Garn-St. Germain Act" applies, then the lender cannot foreclose because of your debts or credit rating .... If your mother's house is residential real property containing 5 or less dwelling units, then the lender cannot excercise a "due on sale" clause if the property is transferred to a relative as a result of the death of the borrower.  See http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/12/1701j-3  Section (d)(5).

The Garn-St. Germain Act is a federal law, so it applies all over the U.S.  However, it does not apply to every loan situation.

In addition, this only protects you from having to "qualify" for the loan - if you fail to make payments on the loan, then the lender can foreclose.

Hope that helps.

Trusts & Estates Law

Janet Brewer