Trusts & Estates Law/Disbursement of a trust

My Mother just passed away, she had three children , me, my older brother and older sister. I have been living at my moms house for the last eight years and care taking for her the past 2 years during her illness. I have lived in this house most of my life I was raised in the home in which I am living in now< My sister is the executor of my mothers will, my mother left the house to all three of us, my sister wants to sell the house, however the house is paid for and I don't want to move out of my home. My sister and brother own their own homes, I do not. I think my sister is pretty firm on wanting to sell the house is there any way I can legally stay living at my home . I am not sure if there is anything I Can do about this.

Sorry lost your mom.  I wish I had an easy answer for you.  Your mother could have left you either the house or the right to live there (called a "life estate")  Since it sounds like she didn't - and I assume you've read the will yourself - you would need to ask to rent it from your siblings.  You would argue that you were entitled to be paid to care for your mother beyond the free rent you received.  

Anyway, without seeing the will I can't offer any real opinions.  Do you work or have any way to buy them out?  It is possible to find an investor to buy them out and rent it to you.  Well those are all my ideas.  Email me if you need more information.

David Disraeli

Trusts & Estates Law

David Disraeli

I can answer general questions about estate planning and trusts. I can also answer questions about estate tax reduction and advanced charitable giving, family partnerships and asset protection. I may have already answered your question here: or here

I have worked for 24 years with clients and their attorneys to formulate estate plans to meet client goals. I have found many mistakes made by client attorneys and were able to have them corrected. I focus on making sure that beneficiaries are protected from current or future spouses and lawsuits so the wealth stays in the family. I have also published a book on Aging Parents which can be found on Amazon

President and founder of The Personal CFO Inc.

Certified Financial Planner 1994