Trusts & Estates Law/ira distribution when you have a trust

Question
This is my first year with a revocable trust.  My IRA is not included in the trust.  For 2014, I must take a MRD of $26,000.00.   In doing the taxes, how do I keep that money from being mingled with the trust income, which would result in my being taxed at the trust rate (for anything over 12,000.00 I believe), which is much higher?  

I hope I haven't made an expensive mistake by setting up the trust.

Answer
Hi Janet,

Very simple:  Your IRA is not and should never be part of your trust.  The IRA required distribution will go on your personal tax return and the trust files its own return.  I see no way that they would be co-mingled.  

Let me know if you have any other questions.

David Disraeli
www.financingalternatives.net  

Trusts & Estates Law

David Disraeli