Trusts & Estates Law/Will


Someone I know passed away hours before signing her final will was signed (lawyer was typing it up).  The lawyer has the will in draft but not signed.  Needless to say that everything went to (or was taken by) the daughter of the deceased (only child) - which was not her intent (she didn't even speak to the daughter in 20 yrs!).  Are there ANY options that the family (siblings) has that could prevent this estranged daughter from getting everything?  This is in PA where everything goes to the child/children when there isn't a will.
thank you

I would say first ask the lawyer.  I think and I'm not a lawyer the only option is to file suit claiming this was not her intent.  It could be expensive - very unfortunate.  It could also be expensive to the daughter.  She may decide to split the estate.  I would have a lawyer write her a letter explaining that she may split the estate or face legal action.  (if the assets pass through the will, you can protest it and keep it tied up.   This may motivate the daughter)  This is the only route I know of.


David Disraeli

Trusts & Estates Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David Disraeli


I can answer general questions about estate planning and trusts. I can also answer questions about estate tax reduction and advanced charitable giving, family partnerships and asset protection. I may have already answered your question here: or here


I have worked for 24 years with clients and their attorneys to formulate estate plans to meet client goals. I have found many mistakes made by client attorneys and were able to have them corrected. I focus on making sure that beneficiaries are protected from current or future spouses and lawsuits so the wealth stays in the family. I have also published a book on Aging Parents which can be found on Amazon

President and founder of The Personal CFO Inc.


Certified Financial Planner 1994

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]