Trusts & Estates Law/Annuity

Question
My Dad just passed away in March and the only thing he left was an annuity with a $40,000.00 balance in it.  I am listed as the beneficiary with instructions from my Dad to equally divide it between the 4 kids (Me, a sister and 2 brothers)  Hartford just told me that I would be getting a 1099.  I do not want to be hit with the entire tax burden when I am splitting the money between us and also I am going to be in a very high income bracet in 2014 due to I took money from my 401K to pay taxes for 2013 due to a 401K withdrawal to purchase a home.  What can I do?

Answer
Hi Gayle,

The insurance company should be able to let you create your own annuity and continue the deferral.  Did you ask them about that?  If you already have the money then it is too late.  I am surprised that they didn't offer you that as an option.  

David

Trusts & Estates Law

David Disraeli