Trusts & Estates Law/Trustee Relationship


My Father passed away in late April and his memorial was June 3rd. We have just found out his 80 yr old widow, not our Mother, is the trustee of the Family Trust.  Neither my Brother nor I have heard from her and feel its time for an accounting.  I anticipate a great deal of resistance from her as our relationship is not good. If I am unable to get a copy of the trust or an accounting after sending a registered letter is there a way I can find out who the trust attorney is without hiring a lawyer myself?

Thank you very much,

Hi Jean,

First I am sorry it took so long for me to answer your question.  It never showed up in my inbox.
Second, no I don't see a way you can find out who the attorney is as it is not recorded anywhere and is private.  Legal action may be your only recourse.  I like the idea of sending a registered letter first since that is of minimal cost.  You and your brother have a right to know what the trust says.


David Disraeli

Trusts & Estates Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David Disraeli


I can answer general questions about estate planning and trusts. I can also answer questions about estate tax reduction and advanced charitable giving, family partnerships and asset protection. I may have already answered your question here: or here


I have worked for 24 years with clients and their attorneys to formulate estate plans to meet client goals. I have found many mistakes made by client attorneys and were able to have them corrected. I focus on making sure that beneficiaries are protected from current or future spouses and lawsuits so the wealth stays in the family. I have also published a book on Aging Parents which can be found on Amazon

President and founder of The Personal CFO Inc.


Certified Financial Planner 1994

©2017 All rights reserved.