Trusts & Estates Law/DPOA vs co-trustee on a living trust

Question
hi Janet - Would you please give me your opinion regarding a living trust in California. Is there any reason that a durable power of attorney  would be better or worse than becoming a co-trustee on my parents trust (they are both living) so that I can help (at their request) with their finances. This is in regard to accounts that are in the name of their trust.

Thank you!

Answer
Thank you for your question.  While a DPOA would work while your parents are alive, it ends at their death.  If they have more than $150,000 of assets in their own names at the death of the surviving spouse, those assets would need to go through probate, which is very expensive in California (for example, if their only asset were a $500,000 house, the probate fee would be $13,000 even if the house had a $490,000 mortgage on it).

Assets held in joint tenancy pass to the surviving joint tenant without probate - BUT in my opinion it would be a terrible idea to add your name to their assets as a joint tenant ... first, there are potential gift tax consequences and second (and more importantly), if YOU become a joint owner, they are subjecting their assets to any financial problems you might have (for example, if you hit a busload of school children and didn't have enough insurance, the bereaved parents could empty out the joint bank accounts you shared with your parents (because you are a joint owner in the eyes of the law).

All-in-all, a trust solves many problems.

Regards
Janet

Trusts & Estates Law

Janet Brewer