Trusts & Estates Law/Probate/Will

Question
Hello,

I just found out I was put down as executor of my father's will. We have a large family with a sister who is disabled who lives with him and has a trust set up recently after my Mom passed . My dad is in poor health.His will states everything is to be divided equally. He has some life insurance and several IRA's which have beneficiaries so there is no problem with that. Because the house is in his name I was told we would have to go through probate , but here's the problem....we are having trouble finding placement for my sister and when my dad passes my brother wants to leave her in the house with an aide. I told him we can't just let her stay in a house in his name when he has passed away. We can't put house in her name because of the trust and she will lose benefits.How long do you have after someone dies to situate the will and sell their property etc??? We live in PA.

Thank You.

Answer
Thank you for your question.  If your father lives in PA, you will need to contact a PA lawyer to find out the answers to your questions.

But as a general rule, if you are trying to keep your sister qualified for benefits, you are asking the wrong question ... (how long after someone dies ...).  Your father needs to set up either a special needs trust or a supplemental needs trust (which one depends on PA's laws) for your sister.  It can give her the right to live in the house without jeopardizing her benefits.  

If your father is too ill to see a lawyer to do this, you might be able to set one up before his death using what we in California call a "substituted judgment" petition.... you would get the Court's permission to set up a trust for him (substituting in for him).

If your father passes before you can get this done, you might still be able to establish a trust for your sister - a so-called "(d)(4)(A)" trust.  Although a (d)(4)(A) trust would still save your sister's benefits and allow her to remain in the house, it has certain disadvantages that a trust that your father could set up would not have.

Because these trusts differ from state to state, you need to contact a PA lawyer who specializes in "elder law" or "special needs trust planning".  Look at NAELA.ORG (National Association of Elder Law Attorneys) and specialneedsanswers.com (Academy of Special Needs Planners) to find a knowledgeable attorney who can assist you with this.

Good luck.
Janet

Trusts & Estates Law

Janet Brewer