Trusts & Estates Law/Rights of Surviving Spouse; CA Life Estate

Question
Prior to our marriage, my husband  inherited from his father a Life a Estate to the home his Father resided in. His sister (my husbands sister) was named in the father's will as the person to whom the home will pass to at the end of the life estate.  My question is do I have any rights to remain in the home if my husband should pass before me? We live in California and were not married at the time the life estate was created; we married after my husbands father passed away. I am not  mentioned in my father in laws will or the life estate. Thank you.

Answer
Thank you for your question.  Based on the information you provided, it would not appear that you have any rights to stay in the house if your husband predeceases you.  If your sister-in-law consents, you MIGHT be able to file a petition with the Probate Court to have the life estate changed to include you.  If your sister-in-law does not consent, it is highly unlikely that you would be able to have the life estate changed.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Janet

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.  

Trusts & Estates Law

Janet Brewer