Turtles/recognize turtle by the shell

shell bag
shell bag  

Shell bag
Shell bag  
Hello, I have posted a turtle shell bag for sale on ebay and they have taken it off the listing because I have not stated the kind of turtle it is as it could be a protected species. Could you recognize the shell and tell me if it is protected or unprotected?  I have attached a picture of the bag.  Thanks.  Russ

Hi Russell,

It would help if you could give me some more information on how you obtained the shell--did you find it locally, buy it, etc.?  Knowing where the shell came from will help me to narrow down the species.  Could you give me the approximate length of the shell as well?  Finally, by "protected species," does ebay mean CITES protection, state law, or what?  There can be protection for a species on the state, federal, or international level, and I'm not sure how ebay considers all that.  Based on the photo, I think it's most likely a common snapping turtle shell, which isn't protected state/federally that I'm aware of, but it's considered an invasive species in Oregon and illegal to keep alive.  I have no idea whether that would impact the sale of the shell itself--that would probably be a question you'd have to ask Fish & Game.  

Questions regarding husbandry of Russian tortoises and other Mediterranean species, sulcata, and redfoot tortoises; general tortoise and turtle care; box turtle care. If I can't answer a specific question, I can provide sources for further research. Disclaimer: My advice is not a substitute for vet care. If I think your tortoise/turtle has a specific medical condition or injury that warrants a vet visit, I'll tell you so, and if possible I'll help you locate a vet. It is neither legal nor ethical for me to provide veterinary advice.

I have kept and bred Russian tortoises for over ten years and have other Mediterranean species plus redfoots and box turtles. I've worked with other tortoise and turtle species while doing volunteer rescue work; mostly sulcata but some leopards, California desert tortoises, yellowfoots, all box turtle species, red-eared sliders, etc. I don't personally keep aquatic species, but have access to a wealth of information and research to help you with any questions you might have.

My knowledge is based on hands-on experience keeping, breeding, and working with tortoises and turtles.