Turtles/sulcata tortise

Question
We have recused a 6-10 year old sulcata (female), found near Dragoon, Az.  We were picked because we have a 26 year old male sulcata.  When we saw her, her back legs just drug behind her, her shell was a little pointed.  we gave her calcium with her hay and lettuce, access to water and now her back legs are starting to work, a little shakey but better.  but now we notice a small split between he portions of her shell.  at first we thought it was shedding of her shell, but it has started to ooze and smelling bad. both turtles have a separate, enclosed habitat with a pig blanket heater on the side for the female.  the termestat is set to 60 degrees inside. the female has a bermuda grass enclosure that measures 12X18 feet. a 2 inch soaking pond is also there.  it measure 3x4 feet. we hope you can help.  i hope it is not shell rot.

fino

Answer
Hi Fino,

It's likely to be shell rot, but could also possibly be due to an old, unhealed injury.  I would take her to a good herp vet for diagnosis and treatment, since the oozing and odor indicate a deeper infection and with no health history it's best not to take chances.  It does sound like she is healthier than when you got her, which is a good thing.  Her legs should continue to improve with exercise and time outdoors.  Thank you for doing a good deed and taking care of her!  

Turtles

Jeannie