Turtles/Turtle Blisters

See the left leg
See the left leg  

See the left leg
See the left leg  
My turtle name is Lado(dont really know the gender but i think its a female ). For the past few days she has develop blisters on her feet. Its really cold in Isb. Pakistan so i have tried to keep her water temperature stable with an electric heater that i got off a pet shop. Unfortunately it broke last night. I dont have any UV light attached it it but a small water tank in which she lives. I know it hurts her as she opens her mouth if i try to clean it with pyodine.

I have attached a few pictures along with this, we dont have any vet here that specialize in these reptiles so i would need help what ever you can.

Hi Rahim,

I think the problem is most likely that her tank is too small, and may not have adequate water filtration either.  Most skin and shell problems like this are caused by poor water quality.  A turtle of her size should be in a tank that's at least 75 gallons, with a filter that can handle twice that capacity.  I'm not sure if you have a basking light/area set up for her, but she needs that as well (and a source of UVB, but I'm not sure what's available in your area).  For the basking light, you can use an ordinary 100 watt floodlight bulb in a domed fixture (like this, but you might be able to find one in a hardware store:  Putting in a basking light will not only give her the chance to warm up and dry off, but it will also bring the water temperature up.  The water temperature should be around 75 degrees F, so it's it much lower than that you'll probably need to buy another tank heater.  The basking area (below the lamp) should be around 88-90 degrees F.

I'll put some links below with information on tank setup, general care, and diet.  I realize you may not be able to obtain everything you should have, but if you can get a bigger tank, a filter, and a source of basking heat, it will be a big improvement.  I would try to give her some dry land time for a couple of hours daily (put her in a box with a basking light to warm her up, but don't overheat her), so her skin gets a chance to dry out, but I wouldn't put anything on the injured area.  I think just getting her better accomodations will help it heal up.  Hope this helped--post back if you have questions or need more help.

Questions regarding husbandry of Russian tortoises and other Mediterranean species, sulcata, and redfoot tortoises; general tortoise and turtle care; box turtle care. If I can't answer a specific question, I can provide sources for further research. Disclaimer: My advice is not a substitute for vet care. If I think your tortoise/turtle has a specific medical condition or injury that warrants a vet visit, I'll tell you so, and if possible I'll help you locate a vet. It is neither legal nor ethical for me to provide veterinary advice.

I have kept and bred Russian tortoises for over ten years and have other Mediterranean species plus redfoots and box turtles. I've worked with other tortoise and turtle species while doing volunteer rescue work; mostly sulcata but some leopards, California desert tortoises, yellowfoots, all box turtle species, red-eared sliders, etc. I don't personally keep aquatic species, but have access to a wealth of information and research to help you with any questions you might have.

My knowledge is based on hands-on experience keeping, breeding, and working with tortoises and turtles.