Turtles/beginner turtle

I want a turtle for a beginner but I want it to be cool lookin and not get too big and easy to take ccare of. Any suggestions?

First, even the easiest species requires a large tank, proper equipment and diet, and an investment of time of money.  They can live 30 years or more, so aren't a pet you can just have for a few years.  To be honest, though, there are no "easy" pets if you really want to give proper care.  "Easy" usually means minimal care, and that's just not healthy for the animal.  There are a number of turtle species that aren't too difficult (maps, painted, sliders), but not easy.  Keep in mind that there's no turtle that can be housed in a 20 gallon tank, so they do take up room.

Here's some links that will give you some detailed information on care and housing.  The site also has care sheets that will give you information on the individual species.

Questions regarding husbandry of Russian tortoises and other Mediterranean species, sulcata, and redfoot tortoises; general tortoise and turtle care; box turtle care. If I can't answer a specific question, I can provide sources for further research. Disclaimer: My advice is not a substitute for vet care. If I think your tortoise/turtle has a specific medical condition or injury that warrants a vet visit, I'll tell you so, and if possible I'll help you locate a vet. It is neither legal nor ethical for me to provide veterinary advice.

I have kept and bred Russian tortoises for over ten years and have other Mediterranean species plus redfoots and box turtles. I've worked with other tortoise and turtle species while doing volunteer rescue work; mostly sulcata but some leopards, California desert tortoises, yellowfoots, all box turtle species, red-eared sliders, etc. I don't personally keep aquatic species, but have access to a wealth of information and research to help you with any questions you might have.

My knowledge is based on hands-on experience keeping, breeding, and working with tortoises and turtles.