Turtles/russian tort breederx

I want a young adult captive breed russian tortoise. Who do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Hi Maureen,

I need a little more information.  How old of a tortoise are you looking for?  I just want to make sure you really mean "adult," and not juvenile (or hatchling), because adult captive bred Russian tortoises are not easy to come by.  I might be able to direct you to someone who has some young males, but I want to be certain of what you're looking for first.  An adult female CB is going to be very, very difficult to find anywhere.  Pet stores will tell you their Russians are young and captive bred, but it's actually not true--they're mature, wild caught adults.  Just FYI, a young adult male will be around 4" long and 300-400g.  Is that what you're talking about?  A hatchling to juvenile would be much smaller.

Questions regarding husbandry of Russian tortoises and other Mediterranean species, sulcata, and redfoot tortoises; general tortoise and turtle care; box turtle care. If I can't answer a specific question, I can provide sources for further research. Disclaimer: My advice is not a substitute for vet care. If I think your tortoise/turtle has a specific medical condition or injury that warrants a vet visit, I'll tell you so, and if possible I'll help you locate a vet. It is neither legal nor ethical for me to provide veterinary advice.

I have kept and bred Russian tortoises for over ten years and have other Mediterranean species plus redfoots and box turtles. I've worked with other tortoise and turtle species while doing volunteer rescue work; mostly sulcata but some leopards, California desert tortoises, yellowfoots, all box turtle species, red-eared sliders, etc. I don't personally keep aquatic species, but have access to a wealth of information and research to help you with any questions you might have.

My knowledge is based on hands-on experience keeping, breeding, and working with tortoises and turtles.