Turtles/Red Footed Tortoise

Question
Hello, I have 2 Red Footed Tortoise,  My question is Can your basic yard ant harm my tortoises?  We live in Alberta, Canada  On warm summer days we place them in their secure pen outside, but have noticed a nest of back ants in the pen.  thank you

Answer
Hi Dale,

If they're the common little black ants, then no.  Fire ants (not sure if you get them in Canada) are dangerous, as are any ants that would be likely to sting.  If you want to get rid of the nest, you can make an ant poison that is very effective (but will take several days to a week).  You will have to block the tortoises from the area, though.  http://www.ps.uci.edu/~tomba/ants/

Turtles

Jeannie